Monday, October 6, 2008

An Uneventful Monday

Hello all! There is not a lot to report today. Tom's mother and I went to visit Monkey at the 10:30 visit and he was so precious! He was wearing the sweetest little outfit that Meg Lowry bought him and I got to hold him for about 15 minutes. They have his isolette covered with cloth all around except for the front so they can keep as much noise and light out while he grows. Speaking of growing, Luke is up to 3lb. 11oz! YAY! This is only 2 ozs. away from his birth weight! It seems as if the formula is working!! I also visited Lactation and explained to them the difficulties I am having with my milk not coming in. They were very sweet and understanding and told me to give it about 4 more days. They had a few suggestions like bumping the time to 15 minutes per pumping and increasing suction (can we say ouch??). The nice lady told me that if I don't see results by the end of the week then I can pretty much throw in the towel. She said that a lot of preemie moms' bodies just aren't ready for their milk to come in and that the hormones that a baby on the breast generates just aren't there when you have a pump. Sooooo.....I'm gonna keep trying but to be honest, I just don't think it's going to happen! Lactation said for me to not beat myself up about it and that maybe when he comes home it will stimulate my body to start producing. I don't know...I definitely need something to happen or not because I go back to work on Monday and if it's not going to happen, I'm certainly not gonna drag that pump in my classroom and do it throughout the day for nothing! Yeah, I'm going back to work on Monday...Should be interesting....I think I will be OK! Hopefully the days will fly by and I will get to visit Monkey at night. Then, before I know it, he will be home!! I hope all is well with everyone! Here is a sweet quote that I found in a little book I got in hospital...

"There is no other closeness in human life like the closeness between a mother and her baby: chronologically, physically, and spiritually; They are just a few heartbeats away from being the same person." ~Susan Cheever

1 comment:

The Grays said...

I'm so excited that Luke is doing so well! I can't believe he's eating and wearing clothes already! He is such a blessing! We are keeping him in our prayers! And don't you give up on pumping just yet. I'm a firm believer that practice makes perfect!